Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lady Gaga & Leadership

I raised a few eyebrows when I ordered Lady Gaga: Singing Sensation by Sarah Tieck for our library a couple months ago.  I didn't order the book to stir up drama, but wanted a book that would hook students.    Actually the book is well written, and provides insight into how Gaga started her career.  It's a hot ticket item in the library, and we can't keep our Lady Gaga book on the shelf!

I recently read an article called 12 Most Overlooked Leadership Nuggets from the Artistry of Lady Gaga by Shawn Murphy.  He actually nails these leadership lessons, which include:
  1. Have a cause
  2. Passion
  3. Know when to ease up
  4. Know your craft
  5. Befriend competition
  6. Surround yourself with talent
  7. Encourage
  8. Fame is a monster not worth chasing
  9. Stay relevant
  10. Controversy is exhausting
  11. Costumes leave us suspicious
  12. Reinvention
Make sure to check out Murphy's explanation for each leadership nugget.  You may be surprised by what you learn!  I also found another short article worth reading called "Lady Gaga and Leadership."  If Gaga's quote in that article doesn't define humility, I don't know what does.

I was pumped when I heard Gaga was going to have a Thanksgiving special on television.  While I loved her interview with Katie Couric, my favorite part of the special had to be her performance of "Hair."  I love how Gaga discusses bullying in the introduction. 


Actually I'm starting to learn just how much Gaga is working to stop bullying.  Here's one article in the Washington Post about Gaga sending an anti-bullying video to a student (via @markbrumley).  Another
Washington Post article discusses Gaga's Born This Way Foundation.  When I went to the foundation's website, I smiled when I read the following:
The Born This Way Foundation’s goal is simple, to foster a world where youth are empowered, humanity is embraced, and individuality is encouraged.

This global effort starts with today’s youth. By empowering and inspiring our young people to promote bravery, tolerance, and acceptance, we can change the way people view those who are different from them.
Not only am I a fan of Gaga's music, but I'm also a fan of the leadership lessons we could all learn from her!

No comments:

Post a Comment